Monday, February 28, 2011

Week Eight

I read "King" this week and was pleasantly surprised that it didnt bore me. Most of the time, if I already know about something I do not want to hear about it again but this put MLK in a different perspective for me. We are all taught about MLK in school and the civil rights movement but how much of that stays with us? "King" takes the audience into the Life of Martin which is something that the history books dont give us.
The three volumes each differ in how they are put together but all three have silhouette characters that remind me a lot of linoleum prints. The drawings are plane like with hard edges, something that is a personal favorite of mine. The third book had more color than the first two. I wonder if it was to add drama and evoke more emotion from the audience when MLK is shot. Not to say that I dont like the color, it is actually one of my favorite parts of the third book. Washes of color over the drawings that set the mood for the panel but dont go too into detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment